Coastal Roots Farm has extended its popular spring and summer camp program to include an after school option to offer childcare solutions for families, all while creating immersive outdoor experiences for kids.
Coastal Roots Farm has launched an immersive outdoor experience perfect for kiddos (K-5th grade) in need of fresh air in a safe and socially distanced environment. Kids will learn about where food comes from, why it matters, and how they can change the world—all while their parents get an affordable childcare option during this difficult time.
“Teaching kids where food comes from, why it matters, and how they can help change the world are our goals with our education programming at Coastal Roots Farm,” said Sharone Oren, Education Manager.
Farm Camp activities include:
- Farm “chores” – digging, weeding, transplanting, composting, and harvesting
- Farm cooking and crafts – pressing flowers, drying herbs, painting, and making salad
- Learning about how food is grown
- Science experiments with seeds and soil
- Singing farm songs, hearing stories, and mindful practice of listening to nature
- Snack time, including healthy, colorful treats
Families can choose a month-long session on either Monday/Wednesday or Tuesday/Thursday, with two time options – Early Afternoon: 1-4pm with optional After Care 4-5pm, or Late Afternoon: 3-5pm.
The twice-weekly After School Farm Camp sessions are $250 per monthly session for Early Afternoon (3-hour Farm Camp day) and $170 per monthly session for Late Afternoon (2-hour Farm Camp day). Sessions are prorated in the event of holiday closures.
Full and partial scholarship are readily available! Email [email protected]
coastalrootsfarm.org for details.
Due to COVID-19, safety protocols have been put into place, including:
- Camper interaction: Groups will be comprised of 14 campers and 2 staff in a “pod”. Pods will stay together all week and will not interact with campers or staff from the other pod. Campers will not be asked to social distance within their pods.
- Health and wellness: At the beginning of each day, camp administration will check for COVID-19 updates from the County of San Diego. A health screening and temperature check will be conducted for campers upon arrival at camp each day. Due to current state regulations, both campers and staff will be required to wear masks throughout the day.
- Sanitation: Communal spaces, restrooms, water coolers, shared items, cubbies, and hooks will be cleaned and disinfected several times a day using disinfectant wipes and bleach solutions.
- A full list of Farm Camp Health and Safety Protocols can be found here.
Coastal Roots Farm is located at 441 Saxony Road in Encinitas. Visit www.CoastalRootsFarm.org
About Coastal Roots Farm:
Coastal Roots Farm is a nonprofit Jewish community farm and education center. We share organic produce with those who need it most and connect people to compelling Jewish ideas and traditions through farming and food. Coastal Roots Farm is located in Encinitas, Calif. on approximately 17-acres of land. The Farm consists of vegetable gardens, greenhouses, a food forest, chickens, and compost operations.