Studies have shown there are many benefits to families eating dinner together, such as: stronger relationships, a sense of belonging, and even a better diet.
With the recent economic inflation that has affected American households, your weekly grocery bill might have you re-thinking this important routine. We’ve partnered with Smart & Final for Family Meals Month, to bring you some tips on how to be budget conscious, while keeping the tradition of family meals alive!
Plan Out Your Meals Ahead of Time, and Bring Your Grocery List
This may sound like an obvious tip, but sometimes we get caught up in the weekend and forget to think about the week ahead until we’re in the grocery store wandering aimlessly. My husband and I will share recipes we find online and keep the links in a shared document.
This allows me to easily plan out meals for the week ahead, and make a grocery list using the ‘List’ feature in the Smart & Final mobile app. Since it’s easy to buy unnecessary (and sometimes unhealthy!) food, remind yourself that you will only buy what is on your list.
Consider Delivery or Store Pickup, to Prevent Unplanned Purchases
If you are like me and have a hard time avoiding the spur-of-the-moment food purchases, consider ordering your groceries online. This allows you to be strict with your list, and you won’t have to worry about the temptations when you pass by the bakery section. Smart & Final offers grocery delivery, and same day pickup.
Oh and leave the kids at home if you do go to the store! ⤴️
Choose Ingredients That Can be Used in Multiple Meals
- Buy less, reduce food waste and save money!
- Smart & Final makes it easy to buy in bulk with more than 3,000 club-sized items and an assortment of quality, value-priced products, including farm-fresh produce, dairy, deli, meat and seafood, as well as grocery and household essentials, Smart & Final has your every need covered – all without a membership fee.
- Smart & Final has incredible list of recipes on their website.
For example, on Mondays I make a batch of Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken, and we use it in different meals throughout the week like a taco bar with the chicken, burrito bowls, or a taco salad. The best part is, it is affordable to make, and can span across 3-4 meals!
Make Clipping Coupons Cool Again (Grandma would be proud!)
Clipping coupons is not as prevalent as it was when our parents were raising kids, but with modern-day technology, clipping coupons has never been easier! Smart & Final now offers digital coupons. Get access to exclusive savings and receive 15% off your first trip when you download the Smart & Final app and register now.
Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken:
½ Tbsp Olive Oil
¾ Cup Mild or Medium Picante Salsa
1 14.5oz Can Fire-Roasted Diced Tomatoes
1 Tbsp Chili Powder
½ tsp Salt
1 tsp Cumin
1 tsp Garlic Powder
We highly recommend Smart & Final’s First Street Brand, offering uncompromising quality and price, with a wide variety of products reaching across most categories throughout the store. ·
- Place Olive Oil in the bottom of a slow cooker, and add the chicken breasts. Turn the chicken breasts over so they are layered with oil on all sides.
- Add all remaining ingredients to slow cooker, and mix the ingredients well.
- Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours, or on high for 3-4 hours
- When chicken is done, it will be tender and easily shreddable with a fork. Shred the chicken, and mix with the liquid/juices.
- Serve with your favorite accompaniment. You can keep this chicken refrigerated for 3 days after cooking, or freeze in an airtight container for up to 3 months