The Fourth of July is all about spending time with family, fun activities, and of course firing up that BBQ and enjoying some good food!
Be sure to check out our Top Spots to Watch 4th of July Fireworks in San Diego post if you are looking for a place to go watch the fireworks. You can always tune into Fox 5 San Diego and catch the Big Bay Boom if you don’t want to deal with all the crowds.
However you celebrate, we hope you have a safe and happy Fourth of July and if you try one of our themed crafts, activities or recipes below, tag us @sandiegomomsco!
American Flag Sugar Cookie with Strawberries & Blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. On the parchment, press or roll the cookie dough into a large rectangle. You may need to use flour to keep hands or rolling pin from sticking.
- Bake the cookie for 15 to 20 minutes (Follow package instructions) Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before decorating.
- Beat together the cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla. Mix until smooth.
- Spread topping evenly over the surface of the cookie. Slice the strawberries and decorate flag as shown with fruit.
- Create white stripes with the whipped topping.
Nothing says 4th of July like watermelon! You can make a refreshing watermelon Sangria with white wine, vodka, lime juice, and sugar, packed full of delicious watermelon flavor for the adults.
Then take the extra fruit and make a sparkling watermelon cocktail for the kids by just adding some juice and sparkling water!
- (8 Cups) cubed seedless watermelon, divided, (1) Green apple, and lime, (2 TBSP) White Sugar, (1) Bottle White wine, (1/2 cup) Brandy or Grand Marnier, Fresh mint
- Chop the watermelon and cut the apple into bite-sized pieces. Add the chopped apples and 2 cups of the watermelon to the bottom of a large pitcher. Sprinkle them with sugar and stir gently. Let them stand for 20 minutes at room temperature.
- After 20 minutes, add the remaining 6 cups of watermelon to a blender and blend until juiced. Pour through a strainer into the pitcher. Add the the white wine and brandy, fresh mint and thinly sliced lime rounds. Stir and refrigerate for 1 hour, or as long as 4 hours. (Don’t go beyond 4 hours or the fruit texture starts to degrade.)
- Pour the watermelon sangria into ice-filled glasses. Add fruit to each glass and dress up for a fun 4th of July cocktail!
Fourth of July Straw Rockets
This was such a fun and easy craft! Check out this post for a full rundown of what you need.